How the Eleys fit into the birth order model

Me and my brothers at Evan's graduation (top)
and my graduation (bottom)
        I recently read this Huffpost article about how birth order effects your personality. It used a model of a three child family. As the oldest child, with two younger brothers the article drew parallels to my own life. Sometimes it was dead on, other times it couldn't be more inaccurate. I understand that the article was a generalization, but I thought it would be fun to take a closer look.
        First, the eldest child, me. The firstborn was labeled "The Achiever". And in comparison to my brothers, I am more of a go getter. I remember comparing my own college application process to my brother Evan's. He needed my mom to provide him with all of the necessary documents and set up all of his college visits. I went on one college visit and then made my decision of the four schools I applied to. My category was also described as mini versions of their own parents. While I'm reluctant to admit that I'm similar (I'm not) to my parents on many levels, I will say that I have the Eley curse. The curse is this: we think (as a result of traveling everywhere with my father for the first 16 years of our lives) we can get anywhere in 15 minutes. You want me to meet you in Indianapolis, 45 minutes from my house, I will leave 20 minutes before I need to be there.
        The next sibling described on the list was the middle child, labeled "The Peacemaker", my brother Evan. He's two years younger than me and two years older than my youngest brother, smack dab in the middle. The article said this about the middle child, "you are probably understanding, cooperative and flexible, yet competitive." I literally laughed at the idea of Ev being cooperative and the only time he is understanding is when we jointly complain about my younger brother, as older siblings always do. He is the most competitive person I've ever met. "You are concerned with fairness," in relation to Evan this is probably the truest thing I've read. Growing up he was the first to point out that I got what I wanted because I was "Dad's favorite" or because I was the oldest and it "wasn't fair."
        Then there's the youngest, "The Life of the Party", my brother Chris. He's a little less than four years younger than me, currently 17. The article talks about how parents are more confident in their parenting skills so they are "more lenient and don't necessarily pay attention to your every move or milestone as they did with your older siblings." Based on Chris' current lifestyle I'd say this is accurate. Evan and I often talk about how we would never get away with the things he does. Another point the article noted was the tendency of the youngest to "expect freedom to follow your own path in a creative style." Again, this is true to Chris, who wants to go to a college with a golf course management program or maybe not go at all. Where Evan and I don't know what we will do with our lives, but we always accepted a collegiate path.
        The youngest category seemed dead on, but Evan's description was so laughably wrong I could help but share this with the rest of the world. What did you think when you read the article?

Comments