"Awkward"


            Recently I stumbled upon this BuzzFeed list of awkward situations for “awkward” people. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I think everyone is a little awkward and any situation is only as awkward as you make it. So if you walk into something saying “this is going to be awkward because I’m an awkward person” then you’re going to act weird and it’ll be your own fault.
Michael Cera as Evan in Superbad, you'll just have to watch
the movie to understand the awkwardness
When someone calls themselves “awkward”, my initial reaction is to completely disregard that statement. I consider “awkward” to be Evan, Michael Cera’s character from SuperbadI refuse to believe actual people act like that. This is all I could think as I read the BuzzFeed page. Some parts of the list stood out to me more than others. 
            Number one on the list is “getting to the restaurant/movies/concert before the rest of your friends” and pretending to text on your phone. Ok, I don’t think this is awkward. Actually I’m pretty sure everyone does this so they have something to do while they wait.
            Number four is “having absolutely no idea if someone’s flirting with you or just being friendly.” This is awkward, but it’s not exclusively awkward for “awkward” people. Everyone wonders stuff like that it’s called being a person. Thus far, telepathy isn’t something most people have accomplished so you are left not knowing what other people are thinking.
            Number 18 is “walking into a party and feeling immediately unsure what to do with yourself.” This one drives me slightly insane. You’re at a party. It is a social function. Go talk to people. You are presumably there because you know someone, so go be their friend and make some new friends while you’re at it.
            Those three were the worst of the 19. Let me know if you think I missed one. People need to stop labeling themselves “awkward” just go be yourself.  Don't be Evan, like I said, no one acts like that in real life. A situation is only as awkward as you make it, if you act like everything is normal then everyone will move on from any initial uncomfortable feelings.

Comments

  1. THANK YOU. I completely agree with this post. Reading this, a few specific people come to mind. They are seemingly paralyzed by the amount of awkward they think they possess, when in reality, we're all just as awkward as they are.

    What's Kelsi's brand of awkward, you ask? I'm the queen of inappropriate laughter, falling up stairs or on flat surfaces, clammy palms, word vomit and inaccurately reading social situations. Whatever, though. It's who and what I am, and I personally don't think it matters if I am a little more or less awkward than the person sitting beside me.

    Maybe it's just me--let's be honest; I do have a tendency to romanticize everything--but I think everyone's tinge of awkward can be incredibly charming.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Julie, I was smiling as I read through your blog. I cannot agree enough! I believe your mind takes over in situations and if you believe something is true then that "something" will transfer over to how you will act. Like you said, if someone thinks a certain situation will be awkward, chances are it will be!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes this is exactly what I was trying to say. Your thoughts and predispositions will transform into actions. Just act like a normal person and everyone else will follow suit!

      Delete
  3. I know this is a few weeks after you posted this, but I just had to comment. This post made me smile so much! I read the Buzzfeed article, and honestly, I don't think any of those are just limited to "socially awkward" people. Everyone feels uncomfortable from time to time. The uncomfortable, however, can fade away if you're sure of who you are! In my opinion, that doesn't mean announcing how awkward you are after EVERY single thing you do. That just becomes annoying after a while.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment