Superstition is the way


            Halloween is fast approaching. Everyone has begun to spend time considering what to dress up as and what to carve in their pumpkins. There’s another subject that is often lumped with Halloween. Superstition; cue Stevie Wonder. But for me, superstition is a year round controlling factor. Most of the superstitions I believe in and abide by are, if I’m being logical, completely ridiculous. Then there are always those days that completely support my superstitious beliefs, let me tell you a little bit about it.

In Abe we trust
Belief: “Find a penny pick it up, all day long you’ll have good luck.”
            I take great stock in this superstition. There are a few rules to this one. The penny has to be face up, if I don’t see Abe, I don’t pick it up. I must keep the penny in my pocket for the duration of the day for it to be lucky. This always works. Always. But the “power of the penny” ends at midnight and the lucky day ends.

Belief: “No Rain” by Blind Melon is my lucky song
            If “No Rain” comes on it means I’m going to have a great day. However, it’s only lucky if it is playing on the radio or if it comes on when my iPod is on shuffle. If I turn the song on it has no lucky powers.

Belief: Knock on wood
            If I ever say anything I don’t want to happen, I always knock on wood after I say it. Knocking on wood completely wipes out any chance of the event occurring. I used to have a wood phone case so it made finding wood to knock convenient, but the phone case broke so sometimes it’s difficult to find wood. In that situation I don’t say what I was thinking out loud, for fear it might come true.

            I have many more superstitions, but at least one of these occurs daily. Deep down, I know it’s silly to believe these things, but they never fail to bring me luck. What brings you luck?

Comments

  1. I'm not overly superstitious, but I'm a firm believer in flipping those unlucky pennies to become lucky for the next person who sees them. Even though I don't get the entire lucky effect of the penny, it's kinda like I get a little bit of built up luck for the next time I find one. The only other two superstitions I believe in are shooting stars and the ever popular 11:11. The shooting star doesn't happen very often, which makes it especially lucky.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment