What's your favorite book?

My favorite Jon
Krakauer book
        Every time I'm getting to know someone new we end up playing the question game. You know the one, you ask mundane questions about their likes and dislikes, only half of which will stick in your memory. You ask each other things like: what's your favorite color, what's your favorite movie and do you have any pets. The worst of these is when someone asks what's your favorite book.
        Is that really what you just asked me? Please consider how many books are in existence. I have a similar problem when people ask me what my favorite movie is, but the book question bothers me so much more. Because there are so many books I love and have added to my "Life's Library," I made a list of more accurate questions you should ask me if you'd like to know about my reading habits. My answers are in italics. They are as follows:
        Julie, Harry Potter or the Hunger Games? 
        Harry Potter.
        Do you like historical novels? 
        Do you mean ones about Abe Lincoln or JFK? Because, yes. 
        Do you like Jon Krakauer?
        No, I love him.
        Who is your favorite author? 
        This question is so much better than "what's your favorite book?" Jon Krakauer is
        my favorite author.
        Do you like Chelsea Handler books? 
        Is that a real question? Because the answer is of course.
        Have you read Fifty Shades of Grey? 
        No.
        How long have you been trying to read All The President's Men? 
        I've been trying for so long, but I'm so busy.

        What do you think of my list? What questions would be on your list?

Comments

  1. Julie, I completely understand your frustration because it's so hard to choose just one favorite book (but if I had to, it would be The Bell Jar), but there's one question that irritates me even more. I can't stand when people ask me what I'm reading.

    When I'm actively reading.

    With my face in a book.

    Most likely purposefully blocking out the rest of the world.

    All I want to say is, "LEAVE ME ALONE BECAUSE I'M READING AND DONT WANT TO TALK TO YOU RIGHT NOW OR POSSIBLY EVER AGAIN IF YOU DONT STOP ASKING ME DUMB AND UNNECESSARY QUESTIONS." Obviously I can't go around shouting that in people's faces, so I usually politely put down my book, tell them the title and hope they walk away.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment