The United States: A geography lesson

"Am I missing any other state?"
        Last year I took a geography class with an awesome professor. He was totally crazy...about geography. He would go on long rants about how no one knows where anything is located. He also liked to tell us about how maps are distorted because the globe is round and paper is not (thanks I wasn't sure.) And though my classmates weren't fond of him, I loved this guy's enthusiasm. But, I'll admit I thought he was exaggerating. I was wrong.
        Upon looking at this BuzzFeed post, I couldn't stop laughing. It's a list of maps of the United States drawn from memory by various people throughout the Americas. People WHO LIVE IN THE U.S. don't know where the states are located. That is ridiculous. Of course, we should know where other countries are located as well (I won't even touch on American ethnocentrism,) but if we can't even label our own states, we certainly shouldn't start labeling the rest of the map (because I'm afraid of what will happen.)
"All of this is Nebraska," "Ooohio," "WTF is even here?"
        I spend a lot of time on a website called Sporcle. It's a sort of timed trivia game and once you get started you can't stop. My favorite Sporcle quiz is the United States Presidents quiz, which I am proud to say I usually only miss one. The website also has an entire section dedicated to geography. So, if you are from the United States and you don't know where the states are located, I challenge you to take this quiz over and over again until you can get it right. Then try to draw the United States from memory. Because, while Americans are quick to shout "U.S.A." with extreme pride, we don't know enough about the actual LAND of the free.



Comments

  1. Julie, I'm one of your classmates who can verify that this professor was, in fact, off his rocker. After spending a semester studying what can only loosely be referred to as geography, I remember nothing more than his wild stories of his time spent standing up to United Nations officials and the obstacles faced by his then-fiancee when trying to obtain a visa.

    I will admit that the take home final exam was nice (read: unfathomably easy), but no, I never want to see another picture of his Kazakhstani wife again.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment