First world problems on Snapchat


            A popular Twitter account is First World Problems (@firstworldme), sharing problems that, in the grand scheme of things, aren’t real problems. The account also tags each tweet with #firstworldproblems. Recently, I’ve come to realize all of my #firstworldproblems with Snapchat.
The Snapchat icon
            Snapchat is a smartphone application that allows users to send each other timed photos or videos. When the timer runs out the receiver can no longer view the media. Snapchat is a member of what I like to call The Big Four: Snapchat, Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. If I am on my phone I am using one of these social media outlets. With such frequent use of Snapchat, I have a few first world complaints.
The most exciting part of getting and receiving Snaps is when that little purple box pops up telling you that you’ve received a video. There’s that anticipatory moment before you open it, what could be in this video? Will it be a funny video? Is it someone who has recorded themselves singing? The possibilities seem endless. You “press and hold to view” and the timer starts ticking.
You’re watching the video, but there is no sound because you forgot your phone was on silent. Now there’s no time left and you will never know what was said on the video. Devastating.
Then there are other times when the person only sets the timer for two seconds on a photo and it flashes away before you’ve even processed what you’re viewing. I also can never make my message fit in the character limit on Snapchat. How am I supposed to have a photo conversation without words? These are certainly #firstworldproblems but maybe the developers over at Snapchat can take a hint.

Comments

  1. I identify with all of these problems! There have been more than enough times that I've went to look at a video on Snapchat and move my finger by accident, losing part of the video I was supposed to be watching. The volume thing is something everyone who has Snapchat has dealt with at least once. I have noticed lately that I have a notification that someone has sent me a snap, but there is nothing there.

    But, in the end I know that no one makes me use Snapchat and that I am hopelessly addicted to it. As long as that dancing ghost keeps refreshing my feed, I'll be using this picture messaging app.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of the most frustrating things with Snapchat was being an Android phone user. All my friends had all the updates with their iphone months before I did! Eventually Android got snapchat and all it's wonderful updates. I am a happy camper again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amy! I feel your pain about trying to use Snapchat on an Android phone. I've switched to Iphone now but before that it wasn't even worth the battery power it took to send snaps.

      Delete
  3. I can completely relate to this post! I love Snapchat and I always get pictures from people who only set the timer to 2 or 3 seconds and I have no clue what I'm looking at. I think that since Snapchat has become so popular, the creators should change it around a little bit and add more features!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe nobody has blogged about this yet! I agree with both of those, it is frustrating to lose out on what could be a great snapchat! I also usually use my headphones to listen to the videos because I really don't trust my friends. Another first world problem with Snapchat is when people screenshot my pictures. Those always make me nervous. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Julie,
    This is such a great topic! I have the same problem with photos flashing and me not processing what is there or not having enough time to read the caption. As far as the videos go, sometimes my problem is that the sound just simply doesn't work. Perhaps the person sending to me forgot to turn their phone off of silent before recording, but sometimes I receive a video and make sure I turn my phone on loud and it's just this video with no sound that is clearly meant to have sound. I think this is a common problem with Snapchat. Another first world problem that I have is when something is hilarious and I don't realize how hilarious it is until it is too late to screenshot the photo and keep the hilariousness for a rainy, gloomy day.
    Like I said before, I love this post! There are so many first world problems!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment