Unicycles


            Unicycles seem to be a small, but growing form of transportation around campus. I remember seeing a boy unicycle through the freshman dorms two years ago. Assuming he’s still at it, I know there is at least one unicyclist riding around Ada. I was talking to a friend who knows said unicyclist and says he’s been teaching other people. It’s a cult like movement, this unicycle phenomenon. I want to take some time to examine the appeal and ask a few questions.
            What exactly is the appeal of riding a unicycle verses a bicycle? I can’t imagine that it’s significantly more convenient. Other than taking pride in the fact that you’re one of few who can ride a unicycle, I’m not sure I understand.
            I’ve also seen people riding Razor scooters around campus. This seems logical. Not especially faster than walking, but I can get on board with this. They ride the scooter to class, fold it up and walk on in. What does the unicyclist do with the unicycle? I’ve only ever seen one in action, never chained to a bike rack. Is that where a unicycle goes or is it special like the Razor scooters, carried into the building by its rider?
            I am impressed when I see the various unicyclists on campus. The more I think about it my amazement is clouded by a mountain of questions. If you have the answers I welcome comments that can help clear this up.

Comments